Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Date with The Muse (2005)

        I can see you.

        Skidding through culture in your white Chevy van. 
        Discount cheese and a lone sardine can. Hiding behind curtains to read your book. 
        To enjoy your borrowed cot.

         I hold the globe, and you see it too. 
         I've been waiting with long-bearded curiosity and silver wolf-eyes.

         You sell wares to buy your meals. To pay your gas.
          It has been a long time since I've been spotted.

        Come, walk with me. We will hold hands and gaze into their vacant eyes. 
        We will dance and sing. We will lean on light poles and watch them scatter.

        The protest will only last as long as the evening news.
        They have babies to feed and taxes to pay.

         We will ride scooters through the park. That will be our protest. 
         Tears will stream from our cheeks, leaving trails of muddied sidewalks. 
         For children to play in with glee.

         You are me and I am you.
         I can tell by the whites of your eyes.
         You can tell by the way I wear my hair.

         We pass with a flash, but will meet again.

                 --If not in flesh, in spirit--

             I am here, I will always be here.
            And you will always be on vacation.

        Give me your hand, and I will play with it. 
        Tell me your stories, and I will beam.  
        I'd give you directions, but am better with thoughts than words.

         Take a left on Johnson, right on Main.
         I'll take your receipt and pin it to my wall.

         Perhaps we'll meet another day.


        A Date with the Muse
        Daniel James 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment