Thursday, January 30, 2014

Issues in Courtship, part 1 (2006)

Friday, May 12, 2006

No, I don't have any gum. 
But you may sit and watch from the curb.  
Lick your lips and eat your apple. 
Stare and probe and cast your charge.
Cock your head to gaze through lashes.

 I will pretend to be busy. Everyone has a task. 
Everyone can fake an excuse. I just need time to think.
              
There is room, yes, there is room.
But it wouldn't be 'till Memphis that I know for sure.     

These things take time.

We may need to shop together, to watch each other browse. To amble and ponder and dream of the future. That will do more good than hours of stilted small talk.

Posture is key. How do you react to change? I would like to see you walk through a harsh gust of wind; smell your favorite soap; listen to you eat a sandwich. 
            
These things take time.

I appreciate your candor and determined feist. Perhaps you've had time to gauge me, but this is the first I've heard of it. Television only works one-way.

Ask me a question, and I will be bland and practical.
Tell me your name, and I will forget.
If you sit in my lap, I'll try not to drop you. 

These things take time, and I'm in no big hurry. 
You can come if you like, but it'll be awkward at first. 

Would it be ok if I just sat on your couch and watched you perform mundane daily chores? 
Then we could play a game of Frisbee and have a staring competition later on?                                                                                                                                                                 That way I'll know for sure. 
That way we'll hit the ground running. 

But, like I said, come along if you like.


Issues in Courtship, part 1
Daniel James 


No comments:

Post a Comment